Tuesday 24 March 2009

Kiting for Boys

The 3rd anniversary of my new life looms: my personal Road to Damascus occurred when I bought myself a kite for my birthday, a small two-line foil which I naively thought would drag me around and maybe even lift me off the ground. Not a chance!
On the Sunday I took my family "up the hill" (now my mantra) to try it out and was shocked when my neighbour whizzed across in his kite buggy and offered to help me set it up. I had no idea he engaged in such a glamorous hobby and was suitably impressed. It was that moment when I contracted a serious, and so far incurable, case of "kite fever", and within three weeks of that fateful Sunday, I had bought myself a "real" kite.
This was a 2nd hand Flexifoil Blade mkII, 3 square metres of pure evil! Read my review here if you can be bothered.
The Blade lived up to my expectations of a power kite, dragging me - and especially my son - across the common, and scaring the crap out of us.
Since then my love of kiting has gone from strength to strength, particularly since I bought a buggy back at the end of 2006.
I was "up the hill" the other day, a couple with their young family were watching from a short but safe distance. When we pulled up at our kit, the father came over with his little boy of about 5yrs old. It was obvious that the interested party was the dad! He had that look in his eye that I'm sure I had all those years (well, not that many but it seems like for ever) ago.

It just grips you like that.


Auction Sniper

No comments:

Post a Comment